Liza E. Smoker
Liza E. Smoker is a Partner at the firm and focuses her practice in real estate, commercial and civil litigation, business, and other matters. She has successfully litigated hundreds of hearings and several bench and jury trials. In addition, she is a member of The Fund Attorney’s Title and is experienced in high-dollar real estate negotiations, closings, and title insurance.
Ms. Smoker was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale and spends much of her free time giving back to the city she loves. Ms. Smoker was president of the Broward County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section from 2014 to 2015. Largely due to Ms. Smoker’s leadership, the Section won The Florida Bar YLD’s 2015 Affiliate of the Year Award for the first time in its history.
During her time as president, the Section put on a variety of events including Broward’s Judicial Reception, Breakfasts with the Judiciary, CLE luncheons, Attorney Boot Camps, mentorship events, pro bono activities, literacy initiatives, and dozens of other volunteer projects and charity events. During her service on the Young Lawyers Board, the organization provided countless hours of community service and raised over $200,000.00 for local charities.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Smoker served in the Office of the Counsel to the President of the United States, Florida House of Representatives, the Executive Office of the Governor, and the Office of the State Attorney in Leon County.
As Legal Intern in the Office of the Counsel to the President of the United States, Ms. Smoker assisted the President’s Counsel primarily with research of various issues including federal judicial nominations, executive appointments, and other legal matters concerning the Presidency and the White House. As a CLI in the Office of the State Attorney, Ms. Smoker prosecuted crimes and advocated before juries in the 2nd Judicial Circuit.
Ms. Smoker has competed on the state and national level in several trial advocacy competitions. She was a Regional Champion and National Semi-Finalist in competitions held by the American Bar Association.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Member, 2017 – Present
- Broward County Women Lawyers’ Association, Member, 2017 – Present
- The Hundred Club of Broward County, Member, 2017 – Present
- Broward County Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section, President, 2014 – 2015
- Broward County Bar Association, Board Member, 2014 – 2015
- Broward County Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section, Vice President, 2013 – 2014
- Broward County Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section, Treasurer, 2012 – 2013
- Broward County Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section, Secretary, 2011 – 2012
- The Fund Attorney’s Title, Member, 2011 – Present
- Stephen R. Booher American Inn of Court, Member, 2010 – 2011
- Broward County Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section, Board Member, 2009 – 2011
- Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law , Member, 2007 – 2008
- American Bar Association, Member, 2005 – 2009
- Human Trafficking Academy, St. Thomas University School of Law, 2017
- Paul May Professionalism Award Recipient, Broward Country Bar Association, 2017
- National Semi-Finalist in trial advocacy competition, American Bar Association, 2008
- Regional Champion in trial advocacy competition, American Bar Association, 2007
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D.
- Florida State University, Real Estate, B.S.
- Florida State University, International Business, B.A.
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Real Estate Law
- Business Law
- Banking Law
- Creditors’ Rights
- Governmental and Administrative Law
- Condominium Law
Highly recommended! It was a pleasure working with Liza Smoker. She represented my company in a commercial Lease negotiation. It was a pleasure working with Ms. Smoker. She did a great job throughout the entire negotiation process. She is competent,…read more→
Wonderful experience. As an inexperienced homeowner who was closing on my first real estate transaction, Liza walked me through the process explaining everything and anything so I knew exactly what was happening at all times. No matter how simple the…read more→
I 1st met Liza for a small business lease issue and She was extremely attentive to my needs and concerns. Her knowledge of the law and previous case studies/ judge rulings was outstanding. She explains everything in detail and makes…read more→
She quickly determines the heart of your matter. She makes efficient and precise moves, on your behalf. Once a matter is in her hands, she will keep you appraised of the progress. Answer her questions honestly and worry no further…read more→
She really looks out for her clients. People often have great business ideas, and she helps bring a high level of protection to the client and idea.
My husband and I are both lawyers, but we retained Liza to handle the purchase of our first house. Liza and her team were responsive, understanding, always a step ahead, and managed the closing (and our nerves) with ease. Liza…read more→
Closing expert Liza meticulously poured through our closing documents and had several items amended on our behalf. She also found errors in the financial terms which she addressed with the closing agent. Liza was professional and courteous with all her…read more→
Fast, Friendly, Effecient! We hired Liza for the closing on the house we sold and also for the house we ended up buying. She always answered any questions we had in a professional, timely manner and was very helpful in…read more→
Courteous and Professional Liza is very responsive and has a genuine care for her clients. We will continue to use her services in the future. Dealing with Liza is an interaction, not just a transaction.
Extremely comprehensive and attentive for clients needs. I've hired Liza for two different occasions. One was business and it was an extremely stressful time for me and my partner. She calmed us down immediately with her knowledge and research. She…read more→
Great Attorney, Responsive and Professional I used Liza for a real estate closing and she was amazing from start to finish. She was extremely responsive and answered all my questions as a first time homebuyer. There is no one I…read more→
Excellent! My husband and I are both lawyers, but we retained Liza to handle the purchase of our first house. Liza and her team were responsive, understanding, always a step ahead, and managed the closing (and our nerves) with ease.…read more→